Welcome

Check every section from this blog and take your time to use the commentaries to help to improve it. Thank you!


Thursday, December 31, 2009

Routines and Resolutions for New Year

As I said at the beginning of this holiday, I'm talking about the second part of Christmas: New Year's Eve( Nochevieja ) and New Year's Day ( Año Nuevo ).

But to be more accurate, I'm starting with the first day of the week after Christmas: Saint Innocents Day ( 28th December ). I don't usually make any jokes o tricks, but I always try to find those which are in the media related to the news or famous people's lives. This year I'm reading some news on the Internet about a photo of JFK ( the famous US President murdered in Dallas in 1963 ).

At New Year's Eve I usually celebrate with my family. We always meet at my mum's and my brother and I always go, but my sisters depend on their husbands' relatives, so this year my elder sister is having dinner at her parents-in-law's home with my brother-in-law Angel. I usually help my mother to cook for tonight, but this year I'm running with my brother at the San Silvestre Race in Pamplona. The race is at 18.45 and go around the old part and city centre. I think I'm fit enough to do my best this year.

So, this year it's my sister Esther who is cooking. We're having seafood soup, fries and asparagus for starter and probably cod as main course for dinner. Then, we usually have a pineapple as dessert and Christmas sweets with coffee before we toast the New Year's coming at midnight with champaigne ( or Catalonian cava ) and grapes. Then we either play bingo or watch tv till early morning.

The following day is New Year's Day. This new year is a new decade too, so it's good to make new resolutions ( I talk about it below ). For lunch we gather at my brother's and this year all my family is gathering there. My mother, brother, sisters, brothers-in-law and nephews ( 10 people ) around or along a table sharing good food ( more or less the same as New Year's Eve, but with a good baby pork-cochinillo- as a main course). We usually comment our last night "marcha",both sporty and funny, I mean as I usually go out with my friends dressed up, as it's custom in Pamplona. It's my first New Year Resolution, but what is a New Year's Resolution?

A New Year's resolution is a commitment that an individual makes to a project or the reforming of a habit, often a lifestyle change that is generally interpreted as advantageous. The name comes from the fact that these commitments normally go into effect on New Year's Day. Some examples include resolutions to donate to the poor more often, to become more assertive, or to become more environmentally responsible.

There are religious parallels to this secular tradition. People may act similarly during the Christian fasting period of Lent, though the motive behind this holiday is more of sacrifice than of responsibility. One is to reflect upon one's wrongdoings over the year and both seek and offer forgiveness. The concept, regardless of creed, is to reflect upon self-improvement annually.

Early 20th-century New Year's resolution postcardsIn the United States, popular goals include resolutions to:

Improve health: lose weight, exercise more, eat better, drink less alcohol, quit smoking
Improve finances: get out of debt, save money
Improve career: get a better job
Improve education: improve grades, get a better education, learn something new (such as a foreign language or music)
Improve self: become more organized, reduce stress, be less grumpy, manage time, be more independent
Maintain a diary
Take a trip
Volunteer to help others

Recent research shows that while 52% of participants in a resolution study were confident of success with their goals, only 12% actually achieved their goals. Men achieved their goal 22% more often when they engaged in goal setting, a system where small measurable goals are used (lose a pound a week, instead of saying "lose weight"), while women succeeded 10% more when they made their goals public and got support from their friends.

My New Year Resolutions are:
Keep healthy as I got this year
Do as much as I want anywhere
Become a family
Improve at my job
Help the others at my work and away
Travel, at least, as I did this year
See some success of Osasuna this year
Enjoy football with Barça and Liverpool too
And...of course CONTINUE WITH THIS BLOG AND IMPROVE IT

Watch CBS News Videos Online
What are yours????
HAPPY NEW YEAR 2010

No comments:

Blog Archive